Chapter 5: Food Cholesterol

Cholesterol is a waxy substance that is made in the body by the liver but is also found in some of the food we eat in our daily lives. Unlike the common belief, not all cholesterols are bad. In fact, it is an important substance to produce cell membranes, vitamin D, bile acids and hormones. However, too much cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of getting heart and circulatory diseases.

Where Does Cholesterol Come From?

Cholesterol comes from your body as well as from what you eat. There is about 75% of cholesterol that is made by your body and the amount is determined by your family history. Hence, the remaining 25% of cholesterol comes from what you eat. The cholesterol level in your blood will increase if you eat food with saturated fats and trans fats. Saturated fats are fats that come mostly from animal fat such as butter, cream and meat while trans fats contained in margarines, shortening and fried food that are made out of the addition of hydrogen to vegetable oils to make the oils more solid.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *